Kanching Rainforest Waterfall or Kanching Recreational Forest is located in Rawang district, the north of KL. It is a popular getaway spot of local people at the weekend. There are 7 tiers in Kanching waterfall which is well maintained: level 2 – 102m, level 3 – 120m, level 4 – 140m, level 7 – 208m. It is not really high but it may be dangerous because the trails are quite steep and slippery.
Opening hours: 8am-6pm daily (2017)
Facilities: car park (2RM/ car, 1RM/ motorcycle), the park and shelters for picnic, toilet & changing rooms on levels 1-4, shops in front of car park.
Activities: it is a great place for picnic and camping. You can also spend weekends trekking and swimming here.
Entrance fee: RM5.5/person (2017), with Mycard it is only 2RM. Check out the price flyer on your right or visit tourismselangor.my/
Caution: the higher trails require your attention to every steps since they are very slippery. Wild monkeys are aggressive, they start tailing you and steal food, so be careful.
How to get to Kanching falls:
- By Uber/Grab/car: We took an Uber XL – 7 rooms to Kanching with only RM41. It took around 40 minutes to get to Kanching park from KL Sentral.
- By Motorcycle: Two of my friends traveled by motorbike from KLCC, it is faster way and more interesting way to travel, I suppose.
- By Bus: From Kl sentral, take KTM to Rawang station, walk to Pekan Lama Rawang at Hab Lebuh Pudu bus station, catch 150 bus to Kanching area, and walk to the waterfall. Please check out the trip from Rawang to Kanching here. But it is quite a long way to reach the park.
The waterfall is a great spot for picnic, camping, swimming and jungle trekking. If you want to avoid the crowded, go on weekdays, trek in early morning and swim in the higher levels.
The waterfalls consist of seven levels. The lower levels are suitable for families and children. If you want to trek to the jungle, go upper levels. There is a very nice stream at the end of the trail. It is a sandy and shallow stream, pretty cool!! We decided to stop, had a picnic and chilled next to this stream. After that, we went back to level 7 to dip our body in the cool water; it is a great way to escape the summer heat.
The route to the first four levels of falls is cement footpaths and steps. It is quite easy at first but then, at these levels, you will pass a troupe of monkeys foraging and fighting for food from passing tourists. Be aware of them because some are extremely aggressive, they did steal our food😅 and scare us away.
What should bring:
- Water and some snacks. If you go with family or a group of friend, it’s a good idea to have a picnic next to the stream here.
- Swimming suits for a dip. After the adventurous jungle trek, dip yourself in the cool natural pool would be great.
- Flip – flop. It would be very annoying if you have to wear your trainers after swimming, so prepare a pair of slippers.
- Extra clothes and tower
- Sunscreen is a must
- Camera and waterproof bag. Camera is always my best friend in all the journeys.
Hope you have a great trip exploring Kanching park and having a great experience!